Tuesday, July 14, 2009

"Dude, where's my cape?"

As a mother of 2 biological children, under the age of 2, and 2 stepkids, ages 7 and 10, I often feel like each day is an "adventure". And more often than not, I end the day feeling "defeated". If only each Mom was given a "Cape" with magical powers, like "Energy" , "Patience", "The ability to make time stand still" and "to prepare dinner and clean the house all in the blink of an eye"

But the truth is, cape or no cape, we as mothers, DO have magical powers. The powers to mend a scraped knee, or sooth a broken heart. The powers to juggle work, kids, and a husband (who can, at times, feel like another kid). To similtaniously cook dinner, and fold laundry, all while bouncing a fussy baby on our knee. And don't forget about those handy "eyes in the back of the head" that we all had installed after Labor and Delivery ;)

But be weary...all those "super powers" can turn to mush, at the mere sight of our "kryptonite" . One simple smile, from my Mystevious little Man, or the ringing of laughter from my Precious Princess, and my world stops spinning. I forget about the dinner, burning on the stove; and the basket of laundry left unfolded on the sofa - and suddenly, nothing else matters. They make every second worth its while, and even when I feel like collapsing from the exhaustions of every day life - they give me the strength to keep going. Maybe they aren't the "kryptonite" at all, but the center of energy where all of our "super powers" come from. After all - I couldn't be a "Mighty Mom" without them!

1 comment:

  1. Let's add "sew Super Cape" to the list of things we're going to master the next time we're together!

    ReplyDelete